I am the guy on the Outer Circle that gets excited about collaboration in ministry. Whether working on projects with activists here in the city, other ministries around the country, or within our network of friends, family, and churches, I love what happens when people come together. As the networks of street kids that we are in contact with has grown, collaboration has become an increasingly important part of the ministry of the Outer Circle. I want to share a developing story of collaboration that has reminded me how far the love of Christ can extend when we allow it to.
Our friends Jen and Jonny, whom we have posted about before, have been steadily working towards life beyond the street for the past year and half. In Portland, just like the rest of the country, the economic downturn has made this an especially difficult time to transition off of the street. Jobs are few and far between, and social services are tapped out. Even those, like Jen, seeking to advance themselves through education, are hitting serious road blocks because college classes are filled with record numbers of students. Despite these challenges, Jen and Jonny have managed to keep their housing and continue to move toward their goals.
Earlier this spring when Jonny got laid off from work, things got really hard for the young family. Walking through this with them from a distance, all I could do was offer ongoing encouragement. When it looked like their housing might fall through, I began to pray about what to do next. I felt compelled to contact various friends in Portland to see if anyone on the ground in the city might be willing to get involved.
The response that we got surprised me. Not only were people willing to provide support through their finances, but a few people offered to introduce themselves to Jen and Jonny and walk with them through these trials as companions. Perhaps the most surprising response was from a woman named Rebekah, who I had never even met. She had been forwarded the email that I had sent out and felt compelled to become involved.
Through email and phone conversations, I helped organize the first meeting between Rebekah and Jen and Jonny. Beyond that, I have simply stayed in touch. Since meeting, Jen and Jonny have connected with Rebekah and her church a number of times. Jen is glad for a new group of positive people to hang out with, and Rebekah is glad to be able to help and support this young family.
There is no easy fix in this situation. Moving off of the street and into mainstream society is a nearly insurmountable task without tons of support. I am greatly encouraged to see Jesus followers right in the middle of this transition with Jen and Jonny, loving, encouraging, and seeking justice along the way with them. These are just the kinds of places that Christ calls us to as co-laborers in his kingdom. Walking through this with Jen, Jonny, Rebekah, and others, has reminded me that the Church can be a vital force for change. I am encouraged by this.
No comments:
Post a Comment